How can I find local writing groups?
There are both informal writing circles and official chapters of writing associations in North Alabama. Informal groups are tough to find, but they often advertise on bulletin boards in coffee shops, bookstores and on Craigslist. As of November, 2011, there was a writers’ group meeting in South Huntsville:
Coffee Tree Fiction Writers
Contact: James Frost
Meetings: Second Tuesday and Fourth Thursday
Coffee Tree & Books, 7900 Bailey Cove Road, Southeast Huntsville
The Heart of Dixie Chapter of the Romance Writers of America meets monthly in Cullman, Alabama. Visitors may come to two meetings before joining. Details can be found on their website: www.heartofdixie.org.
The Southern Breeze Chapter of the Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators has a couple of critique groups in the area:
1. When: Second Sunday of each month 2:00PM - 5:00PM
2. Venue: Rotates - in private homes, etc.
3. Leader/Contact: Heather Montgomery (email@example.com)
4. Status: Open to new members.
5. Group Name/Date: Writing to Teach
6. Genre’s Critiqued: All genres for children.
7. SCBWI Members: Heather Montgomery and others
1. When: To be determined
2. Venue: Rotating – to be determined
3. Leader/Contact: Lance Hopenwasser (firstname.lastname@example.org)
4. Status: Actively looking for new members
5. Group Name/Date: Name - to be determined. Date - 2006
6. Genre’s Critiqued: YA and science fiction/fantasy. The sf/f does not necessarily
have to be YA; any format or audience is fine (e.g. graphic novels, MG, and picture
books are fine).
7. SCBWI Members: Lance Hopenwasser (Newly forming group.)
Murphy Writers Group
Eleanor E. Murphy Branch of Huntsville-Madison County Public Library
7910 Charlotte Drive, Huntsville AL 35802
The Murphy Writers Group, representing many different stages and genres of writing, meets on the second and fourth Saturday of each month at 3 p.m. at the Eleanor E. Murphy Library Meeting Room.
Members of the group are given the opportunity to read to their peers and receive positive and helpful feedback. The group is recommended for ages 14 and older.
The members welcome a diverse group of individuals to join adventures with literature.
Please contact Annie Phillips at email@example.com or 256-881-5620 with any questions.