How do I do an online search for everything in all libraries under a particular genre?
You may need to utilize a two-part searching strategy. I recommend you use the "Advanced Search" option, and then narrow your results using the "Limit Search Results" options.
- From, hmcpl.org, click on "My Account / My Catalog" in the top left-hand corner of the screen.
- Look to the right of the SEARCH button, and you should see the "Advanced Search" option. Click on that.
- You can play around with a lot of keywords and search strategies using this screen, but I did the following:
- Enter "fantasy" in the subject box (you could enter science fiction instead)
- Select "paperback," "book" and "large print" under the LIMITS option.
- Then click the "Advanced Search" button to initiate the search.
I found 3767 results from this search. To further weed out titles I do not want, I can use the "Limit Search Results" options on the left-hand side of the results screen. For example, I can weed out the children's books by clicking on "Children's Reading Level Materials" and then the "Exclude" button. That takes me down to 2983 results. If I only want English-language materials, I can click on "English" and then the "Include" button. That takes me down to 2965. I can keep including and excluding materials by using these limiting options.
As I find books I like, I can click on the box next to the title and save them to a temporary list. If I want that list to become permanent, I need to use the "My Lists" feature. For more information about "My Lists," refer to
ONE CAVEAT: As of 5/10/2012, there is a known bug in the Enterprise Catalog system which will affect large searches. Our IT Department is working furiously to fix this issue. If your search returns a list of results any longer than one page, you will have difficulties opening the full record for items on page two forward. If you click on something on page 2 or after, you will get what we loving call the "spinning wheel of death." To work-around this issue until it is resolved, bring up a second window in your Internet browser. Go to the HMCPL Online Catalog in that window as well. When there is a title on your long list that you want further details for, click over to the other window and search for that book by title. You should be able to view the full record without problem in that second window.